Tuesday 24 January 2012

The 84th Academy Awards - Predictions


The nominations for the 2012 Oscars were announced today and I have decided, perhaps stupidly, to put my predictions to paper. I would like to include a massive disclaimer before I do so; for various reasons I have yet to see many of the films nominated. Should make for interesting reflection come February 26th.
Best Picture
"The Artist"
"The Descendants"
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"
"Hugo"
"Midnight in Paris"
"The Help"
"Moneyball"
"War Horse"
"The Tree of Life"
Winner: “The Artist”
There’s no real standout favorite for me this year. In saying that The Artist has been getting a lot of early awards and high praise from critics. It appears to be the forerunner in most peoples eyes and I have to agree. It’s tribute to old Hollywood will go down well with The Academy. 
Best Actor
Demian Bichir, "A Better Life"
George Clooney, "The Descendants"
Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
Gary Oldman, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"
Winner: George Clooney, “The Descendants”
Even the trailer for this film is incredibly moving and Clooney by all accounts is on excellent form. I can’t see Oldman or Pitt taking it although it’s good to see them both nominated. I must confess I have no idea who Demian Bichir is and I know little about A Better Life. Jean Dujardin will be gorgeous George’s biggest threat.
Best Actress
Glenn Close, "Albert Nobbs"
Viola Davis, "The Help"
Rooney Mara, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
Michelle Williams, "My Week With Marilyn"
Winner: Viola Davis, “The Help”
I can’t call this one. I almost went for Meryl Streep but the Yanks won’t be as familiar with the source material and I think that ignorance might be enough for her to miss out. Plus a 16 - 2 nomination to win record going into this years event is not great form. I would love Rooney Mara to take the prize but anyone involved in the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake should never get an Oscar. So I am going for Viola Davis to become only the second African-American woman to take home the best actress award.
Best Director
Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Terrence Malick, "The Tree of Life"
Alexander Payne, "The Descendants"
Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"
Winner: Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
This kind of picked itself. More often than not the director of the best picture takes home the Oscar. This isn’t always the case and there’s an argument to be made for all the nominees. Scorsese’s direction in his love letter to film will be thought of highly and I think Terrence Malick will stand a good shot but I have to go with the most likely winner.
Best Original Screenplay
Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
JC Chandor, "Margin Call"
Asghar Farhadi, "A Separation"
Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo, "Bridesmaids"
Winner: JC Chandor, "Margin Call"
Probably more in hope than expectation Margin Call couldn’t be more topical if it tried and manages to humanize the so reviled investment bankers and create a taut thriller in the process. Bridesmades, whilst one of the years more enjoyable comedies, doesn’t deserve to be here. 
Best Achievement in Cinematography
"The Artist"
"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
"Hugo"
"The Tree of Life"
"War Horse"
Winner: “Hugo”
I’ve not seen it yet and am going on word of mouth but with 11 nominations it’s bound to win something.
Best Achievement in Visual Effects
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2"
"Hugo"
"Real Steel"
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes"
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
Winner: “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”
Wild guess using the following logic: Harry Potter is now old news and doesn’t really break any new ground. Real Steel and Transformers are essentially the same effects. Hugo could win but everyone loves monkeys and Rise will be the stuffy critics guilty pleasure this year.
All will be revealed in roughly a month from now. Until then feel free to share your predictions.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the help but if you recommend Viola Davis that's good enough for me. However I think Meryl Streep will get that award without a doubt. I see what you're arguing but you only have to look back to last year (Firth, Best Actor) to see that the US can relate and (attempt to) understand past British politics/monarchy.

    ReplyDelete

Agree/Disagree? Let us know.